Thursday, August 09, 2007

Happy National Day Singapore

Wow, I seem to be able to log in only one entry every month, which is bad considering that I flaunt the fact that I love to write.

First things first, it's Singapore's 42nd National Day. I was wearing Red and White at work yesterday and imagine my surprise that the only other person doing that was American. In our condo, we have a potluck party tonight to celebrate both National Day and the incorporation of the Management committee. Arya had to wear Red and White too, and we went to buy her a Red t-shirt a day earlier. Can you really believe that MY daughter did not own a single Red T-shirt? I was quite taken aback with this discovery. Red is her favorite color too. But she just never asks for anything.

The next piece of FANTASTIC news is that I got promoted at work. I have just been here for a year and it feels absolutely great to get your efforts rewarded so swiftly. I am all motivated and happy. Also by a lucky chance, there is a Customer event in Austin from 21-23 Aug, which I am going for in my new and exalted role ;-) which is perfect because I can go to Anjali's birthday on the 24th.

And then something which made me sigh with satisfaction was the fact that K finally finally finally gave me a Surprise Birthday Party. The odds were all stacked up against a chance of that ever happening in this lifetime. We've spent 10 years together and never have I been given a surprise. My birthday especially has been celebrated mostly by me - I am such a birthday fanatic. But this 34th birthday was different. I went to work and there were 3 cards on my desk from my department and other colleagues. Then there was a beautiful bouquet in the most perfect mishmash of colours. It made my day and coincidentally matched my dress too. Then Sara and Lit Yang took me out to lunch at Go India in Vivocity, they were both all dolled up just for me and my special day. LY left early for a meeting she said, but it was really to get my cake, HaagenDaaz macadmia nuts and vanilla icecream cake, it had pink colored white chocolate shavings on it...wow it was such a dreamy, yummy cake. But I didn't know that yet, as I was tucking in the last bits of dessert at Go India! And Sara bought Godiva Truffes and we headed out to office. Everyone was waiting in the dark with the cake and candles all lit up. I wish I had taken a picture, but I was just too shocked. Such a sweet shock - Godiva Chocolates and Haagen daaz icecream..ooh! my friends know me only too well. Plus the fact that almost everyone who worked with me had been sitting patiently in a dark room waiting. I was truly surprised and grateful.

And then, Kushal came early like he said he would and we were all dressed up to have a quiet dinner at Sentosa. Oh by the way, Kushal had bought my favorite Chocolate Indulgence cake the previous night and that was a surprise too :-) We didn't manage to cut it then because Arya went off to sleep. So we took the cake along - i was mighty surprised with that. Hehe, then the cake was left behind in the cab, and K tried hard to get it back. Usually he would have just let it go, but he told me to go ahead to the restaurant and waited outside himself. Arya and me went to the restaurant and I saw Kausar, Karim, Maya and Viren. I really thought to myself - wow, what a coincidence, on a week night too! and then they got up and said Happy Birthday, I was just speechless and saw that they were sitting at a much longer table waiting for others to arrive. Then came Rajani, Mitesh, Tulika Nandu and Adu, Vinod and Veena (who were very late) and everyone's bachchas (kids) I was just so overwhelmed, I had no idea. These are all people I talk to on a daily basis and yet no one divulged anything. K's master stroke was that no blood relative of mine knew anything so Arya and Adu were not in on the secret, cos as per him, these 2 wouldn't have been able to keep it from me - hehe, that is true. And I am glad I was well and truly surprised.

What a wonderful birthday!

No comments: